To the Citizens of Contra Costa County,
As your duly elected Sheriff, I am committed to provide the highest quality of law enforcement available. In order to achieve this goal, I welcome your comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, and valid complaints regarding actions or inactions by members of this Office or matters of department policy.
As an aid to assist me in this regard, a Citizen Report form has been prepared. This report can be given to any department member at any time of the day of the week and it will be forwarded to the Administration Division of my department.
Each report received will be thoroughly investigated and I will initiate appropriate corrective action when necessary. You will be informed of the results of the completed investigation.
Any commendation of actions of department employees will result in appropriate recognition. Should you care to make your report in person, you may come to our business office located on the seventh floor of the County Administration Building at 651 Pine Street in Martinez, and a member of my staff will assist you.
Should you desire to complete your report in writing, you may mail or bring this form to the same address. You can be assured that you will be received courteously and that thorough consideration will be given to your concerns.
If, for any reason, you desire confidentiality in this matter your request will be honored.
I hope that you will feel free to express yourself on any matter which you feel should be brought to my attention. Each citizen's report will receive my personal attention as I recognize that our first responsibility is to serve and protect the citizens of Contra Costa County.
Sheriff David O. Livingston
Contra Costa County
You may choose to come to the Sheriff's Office in person to make your Citizen's Report as experience has indicated that it is most desirable to obtain information during a personal interview. Additionally, you have the options of making your citizen's report by telephone or in writing utilizing this form, and you have the option of remaining anonymous. If you desire to identify yourself you will be asked to provide the following information:
- Your name, address, and telephone number
- If a specific incident is involved, the date, time and location of that incident;
- The names of any possible witnesses and telephone numbers, if available;
- If the incident involves an arrest, the name, address, and telephone number of the individual arrested, if available;
- If the incident involves a member of the department, his name, position in the department,
- Details of the subject matter which prompted your interest;
- In some circumstances, you may be asked to voluntarily cooperate with a polygraph examination.
A member of the department will be assigned to contact you and an investigator will interview all available witnesses, involved department members, and will examine all relevant documentary and physical evidence.
Each citizen's report will be examined on its own merit. Should your citizen's report involve an allegation of improper action by a member or members of this department there are four possible findings which will result from our investigation:
- Sustained: the investigation disclosed sufficient evidence to clearly prove the allegation;
- Not sustained: the investigation failed to disclose sufficient evidence to clearly prove or disprove the allegation;
- Unfounded: the investigation has produced sufficient evidence to prove that the act or acts complained of did not occur as alleged;
- Exonerated: the acts which provided the basis for the allegation occurred; however, investigation revealed that the acts were justified, lawful, and proper.
Should the investigation of this citizen's report indicate improper actions by a member of this department, I will initiate corrective action in accordance with the policies and procedures employed in his department. Such actions may include counseling, retraining, or disciplinary action against the employee.
Citizen's reports are investigated by members of the department specifically assigned by me. As Sheriff, I feel that it is my responsibility to review the final report and approve the findings of an investigation. I will notify you by mail upon the completion of the investigation which is initiated by your report.
Citizen reports assist me in maintaining the present quality of law enforcement services throughout the county and provide a means for improvement. They additionally assure the citizen that corrective action is taken if there is misconduct by a member of this Office. Further, a thorough and impartial investigation procedure protects peace officers from unwarranted accusations